Total Pageviews

Sunday 22 May 2011

Article 16: Why is moving my feet so hard?

With the counter on my blog continually ticking downwards I wanted to think about a few bits I could remedy in time for the Gasshuku in October.

Although my last article was rather short, and initially out of guilt that I hadn't written a blog in a while, the point I was trying to make is clearly something that I have a problem with in my form.

So, let us begin with Shomen Uchi Shiho Nage Ichi.

With this technique being so fundamental and should, if the miss fortune to occur, be any good Aikidoka's desert island technique, I wanted to get it right.

So I've started studying my foot form.  I have spoken with Mustard Sensei about this, and he has given me some of the root causes of my problems which I will discuss now.


I have, what I am now going to refer to a tippy tappy feet.  This is especially apparent in this technique when I move off the line to pass by uke in the transitional movement before I shift and irimi for the throw itself.  Other than simply saying that it's because I've lost balance, you can clearly see that:

  1. I commit the terrible sin of not having my rear foot totally planted on the mat, this means that the power is on the inside of my legs which lessens the impact on uke and also reduces my ability to move quickly.
  2. Although I am really glad that I'm moving wider and lower now, I slide forwards with the lead leg and then due to my lack of balance move my rear leg back slightly, which means I'm not moving with Jushinmae.
  3. I'm letting uke bully my off the line slightly, and in this instance a bit of Fudoshin wouldn't go amiss.
That being said, I realise that the way I manufacture the throw itself is different from the Yoshinkan Kihon Waza, I'm really happy with how I make the final movement. Except, that I pop my hips up slightly which I shouldn't do and right at the end of the video you see me lower them again.

Shomen Ichi Ikkajo Osae Ichi
You can learn so much from getting techniques wrong (which is fairly lucky for me), so I wanted to look at this blooper first.  As I shift in the after the first irimi movement, I obviously lose some structural movement ability and crash out of the technique.  Simply, my foot glues itself to the mat.  Mustard Sensei commented on the importance of a relaxed knee on the lead leg, which is going to be my focus from when I get back from half term until my wedding.  I realise this is very specific, but I figure that with a concentrated effort on this technical element and keeping my rear foot flat on the mat I should be able to make some big gains before October.

So, I went at the technique again trying to make sure that my foot didn't stick.  I am really happy that I am drawing in the rear leg  in the moment just before the actual Osae Waza, meaning that all my weight bares down on ukes shoulder making a difficult technique a lot more combatively effective.  My uke tests the pin and Saunders Sensei's advice about that seems to be working really well, I totally get the strength that can be found from the lower back and the feeling of having a poo.  If I am perfectly honest I still worry about this technique on the day, and that this one more than any other needs to be spot on!

Like mentioned in my Ikkajo article and must not move my arms back in and just like Benge Sensei says the movement must be like a shopping trolley.

Kote Gaeshi
The only reason I filmed this technique is because I feel it is the one I am best at.  I wanted to make sure that what I did have confidence in was actually good.  On reflection I think it's ok, it suffers from many of the problems that Shiho Nage does.


In addition to those issues the ridatsu ho (breaking away) isn't great, I cleaner break of ukes grip and a deeper initial irimi.  When I move about to perform the atemi I'm off posture and listing like a sinking ship to my right.  Mustard Sensei mentioned a problem with the turn over, when I reviewed the video I think he might be getting at how I am not using the elbow to get uke on to his belly.

To summarise,
  1. I'm a little happier than I thought I'd be with this technical review
  2. Relax front knee
  3. Back foot totally depressed into the mat
Thanks all,

Train hard and with form.



No comments:

Post a Comment